The hoard speaks -- or writes?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 9 13:17:05 UTC 2007

Hoard, horde, whored, hoed--whatever. OK, I confess: I'm a bad speller!

Back when I was studying mathematics at the University of Texas in the 1960s, my aged mentor, Robert Lee Moore (inventor of what's now called topology; he called it point-set theory) used to proclaim that he'd known only one good mathematician who was also a proficient calculator, and that individual was ashamed of the fact.

I sometimes try to console myself by imagining that a language scholar who spells badly is analogous to a mathematician who calculates poorly--but I know that's a false analogy.

I wish somebody in the field of biolinguistics would just invent a chemotherapy for the condition. It would have to work more effectively than all these decades' worth of worn-out dictionaries have . . . .

--Charlie