hard words on TV! Part deux

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Thu May 10 15:19:18 UTC 2007

This is one of those words that I'm not really sure how I "usually" pronounce.
It's probably [spi:Si:z] half the time and [spi:si:z] the other half. It might
be the other way around.

M-W lists both. The OED lists two pronunciations but not these two. It only
lists the 'sh' middle consonant. Its alternation is the final vowel/diphthong.
Either [spi:Si:z] or [spi:SIi:z]. Is the latter a two syllable pronunciation?
Any other words that would have the [-Ii-] diphthong?

Michael Covarrubias

Quoting Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>:

> GRETCHEN CARLSON: They're the only ones of their species - is it
> "speeshees"?...
>
> BRIAN KILMEADE: "Speeshees."

   English Language & Linguistics
   Purdue University