hard words on TV! Part deux

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 10 18:02:19 UTC 2007

I'd go with ~speesheez instead of ~speeshees (species).

Of interest here is that Pres. Bush pronounces plural words ending in the
letter "s" as ~s, instead of ~z.  A lot of this is going on.

I call it tradnouncing or tradtalking (saying a phoneme in a most familiar
way as it would be pronounced for most traditonal spelling).  I call
traditional spelling, tradspel.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: hard words on TV! Part deux
>Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 05:00:47 -0700

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      hard words on TV! Part deux
>
>Gretchen Carlson, - classical violinist, former Oxford undergraduate, Miss
>America 1989 - is having a bad word-day.  Commenting on a film clip of
>polar bear cubs frolicking in the zoo:
>
>GRETCHEN CARLSON: They're the only ones of their species - is it
>"speeshees"?...
>
>BRIAN KILMEADE: "Speeshees."
>
>GRETCHEN CARLSON: The only ones of their speeshees born in North America.
>
>JL

>Need Mail bonding?
>Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507