Special problems (or speesh impediments?)

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 11 13:50:40 UTC 2007

I have a similar issue with this word at times. On a different note, I've
always had trouble saying "literal" without stumbling unless I slow my
speech to think about pronouncing it.

Scot LaFaive

>From: Joel Shaver <vole at NETW.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Special problems (or speesh impediments?)
>Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:55:29 +0100

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Joel Shaver <vole at NETW.COM>
>Subject:      Special problems (or speesh impediments?)
>
>Closer to home, how about 'sociolinguistics?'  I always pronounce it
>'soshio', then feel very provinshal when someone says 'sosio'
>immediately afterward.
>
>Joel Shaver
>

>Charles Doyle wrote:
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> > Subject:      Pronouncing "species"

> > I would have supposed that only drunk scientists say "speeshees"! A
>sobering realization . . . .
> >
> > --Charlie

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507