The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 02:38:34 UTC 2007

In my case, after I had explained to the clerk what it was that I
wanted, the clerk exclaimed, "Oh! You mean 'soda POP'!" This was at
the Kroger's on the road between the main campus and the North Campus
Co-Op at Ann Arbor, in 1973.

-Wilson

On 5/13/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy
>
> I too was wondering about the eastern Texas "soda water"--presumably infrequent enough to hide among "other." But I would have thought the mid-South/SouthMidland "soda pop" would have its own entry. And possibly Southeastern "cold drink."
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb