cops/donuts meme

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon May 14 14:23:25 UTC 2007

To add just a note or two to Jim's very sensible comments:

The history of specialty doughnut shops might be traceable--and not just Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme. In the early 1960s, a place called Spudnuts opened in Austin (the gimmick was an undetectable quantity of potato flour added to the doughnut dough--WHY I can't imagine); I think it was a chain. But I'm guessing that doughnut traditions flourished in the Northeast before they reached the South.

In the South it was more common to acquire the requisite sugar-and-caffeine rush from pie and coffee at the counter of a restaurant. Sometimes pie and coffee would even constitute an impecunious meal--as for Joe Christmas in Faulkner's _Light in August_ (and for ME in my college days!).

And then there was the beloved Moonpie and RC Cola pairing . . . .

--Charlie