Evil passive voice

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Mon May 14 19:35:13 UTC 2007

Exerpt from AMZ's Language Log contribution:

Very. Avoid this lukewarm, unspecific adverb. I'm very happy that you
elected me chairman of the Society for People with Super Sensitive Feet. Is
very happy happier than just happy?  [Note rhetorical question, conveying
that very happy is not in fact happier than happy.]  Why not overjoyed or:
I'm tickled to be the new chairman of the Society for People with Super
Sensitive Feet.

--
Moments after reading that I encountered
this in the Oneonta NY Daily Star, in an

Doring was "very, very, very sore," Huyck said,
adding that he'll need some follow-up medical
attention and tests.

The lesson is, of course, that while 'very'
on its own isn't very impressive, verily,
very, very very is.
(the other) doug