cops/donuts meme

Paul Johnson paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Tue May 15 01:04:04 UTC 2007

It seemed to me that, while  growing up in Chicago during the '40s/'50s
that cops rode the tin everywhere they could.  Lunch rooms, coffee
shops, bars (hat off, but in uniform, drinking from coffee cups)  But,
I'm sure that the donut (neon spelling) meme came from the few, legally
open all night places were greasy spoons selling cheap donuts and chili
with a thin layer of orange grease on top. If you were sober you went
for the donut, drinking... the chili had a siren call to it's aroma.