Do-Rags and Bling

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 17 20:37:21 UTC 2007

The following is of no value and, perhaps, not even of interest, since
I've have forgotten all the relevant details, e.g. the date. But WTF?
Can't hurt. Might help.

Anyhow, FWIIW, several, perhaps even many, years ago, there was some
sort of TV documentary on black life in (pre-Katrina) New Orleans. One
of the featured characters was a black teen-ager standing on a street
corner rapping about something that failed to engage my interest. I
noticed only that he stayed using the term, "blang-blang," i.e.
"bling-bling," for jewelry, because I couldn't figure out why he
wasn't saying "bling-blink," given that the the term was clearly
underlain by ordinary-English "blink-blink." The relevant phonological
rule is widespread throughout BE and Southern speech in general.
Indeed, this rule was a feature of the speech of no less a figure than
Elvis Presley, for example. IAC, I ultimately decided that there had
probably been some kind of re-analysis that separated the derived from
the original and the link between "bling-blink" and "blink-blink," was
broken, leading to hypercorrection of "bling-blink" to "bling-bling."

There it is.

-Wilson

On 5/17/07, Sarah Lang <slang at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sarah Lang <slang at UCHICAGO.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Do-Rags and Bling
>
> Just 3 things:
>
> - This list has talked about his since at least 2002
> (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S2=ads-l&q=do-
> rag&s=&f=&a=&b=)
>
> - I have to say, as, well, probably the only person on this list who
> actually lives in "the ghetto" (no, wait, I don't need to use quotes--
> I think being next door to the projects and having hype neighbours
> covers me) . . . "do-rag," outside of an "athletic" sense (I'll
> excuse myself from jargon I'm not familiar with), is a very
> particular item. The current use of nylon was simply the cheapest
> solution to keeping hair and/or braids out of the way/tired back,
> whichever.
>
> -As for nappy/nappy-headed, my (clearest) personal experience with
> this is trying to buy fake hair (I make wigs: http://
> www.arimneste.com/IMG_2247a_5.jpg) at the store down the street.
> After the glares and stunned silence, a few women came over to help
> me. When helping me, they asked if I wanted something "nappy/nappy
> headed [various uses through our conversations when describing
> various types of hair "ie that is too nappy"]." This meant "do you
> want curly/frizzy etc. or straight hair?" Quite remarkably (although
> this was after it was clear I was not on some sort of social
> anthropology project), this term was neutral in terms of tone.
> Although the women themselves were clearly not fans of nappy hair.
>
> -Bling is actually something I never hear, so I am curious if it is
> no longer used in AAVE/BE; although I've been meaning to ask someone
> about their rims (youtube Chris Rock rims ;) ).
>
> S.
> PS "other species"!? Seriously, how did you think that would be taken?
>

> On May 17, 2007, at 4:19 AM, Ron 'Hollywood' Parro wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Ron 'Hollywood' Parro <ronparro at EARTHLINK.NET>
> > Subject:      Do-Rags and Bling
> > ---------
> >
> >> I wear a 'do-rag' and I learned to love them during a trip to Sturgis
> >> during bike week. The purpose of the do-rag' is the same as a the
> >> common practice of wearing of baseball hats. When you are having a
> >> bad
> >> hair day you need to cover it up! It also makes a fashion statement
> >> and might be ghetto related but I don't think that has anything to do
> >> with why the bikers wear them.
> >>
> >> I think you're too sensitive about that ghetto thing. Gold teeth
> >> are a
> >> part of the whole 'bling' culture that people who live in the ghetto
> >> can't really participate in as much as they might want to so it
> >> actually is symbol of getting out of the ghetto. The case could be
> >> made that the ghetto use of bling comes from the hip-hop culture and
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb