up sticks/up stakes: eggcorn origin?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 18 15:05:03 UTC 2007

Bill, you're forgetting that this is the United States, not some free
country "with liberty and justice for all," as that laughable "pledge
of allegiance says. If *you* have never heard a white person say "cut
out" = "depart," what are the chances that *I* would have heard a
white person say "cut out" = "depart"? OTOH, I've heard it said
hundreds of thousands of times by black people and I say it myself.

I grant your claim that, if you did hear a white person say "cut out"
= "depart," you would understand his meaning. I certainly don't
consider BE to be a code that white people can't understand nor do I
think that the use of certain forms by blacks precludes the use of
those same forms by whites. :-)

-Wilson

On 5/18/07, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: up sticks/up stakes: eggcorn origin?
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >
> > FWIW, "cut out" = "depart" in BE.
> >

> Solely BE?  If I heard a white guy talk about "cutting out", I think it
> would be clear what he meant (although I can't ever specifically
> remember hearing anyone, white or black, use the phrase.)
>

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb