up sticks/up stakes: eggcorn origin? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat May 19 01:18:31 UTC 2007

>>A glance at US popular culture: Dagwood Bumstead used this "cut out" (v.i.)
>>= "leave" (in 1975). So did other conventional comic strip characters.
>
>Are you willing to share how you found that cite? Serendipty, recall,
>note cards, or is there an actual searchable database of comics?

Just the usual: Newspaperarchive. The challenge (if there is one) involves
searching for specifically "cut out" (v.i.) without getting too many
thousands of examples of "cut out the middleman", "cut out the coupon",
"cut out to be a star", etc. I think I used <<gotta cut out>>, etc.

-- Doug Wilson