Hockey

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat May 19 20:33:29 UTC 2007

James Harbeck wrote:
>> Yes, I distinguish between COT and CAUGHT, so HOCKEY for me has the same
>> vowel as COT.
>
> I remember a friend jokingly talking about going for coffee using a
> put-on Brooklyn accent and putting the "caught" vowel in the first
> syllable of "coffee." Is this accurate, or would it be the "cot"
> vowel? I'm pretty sure in England it would be the "cot" vowel (sigh,
> oh for the ability to use IPA in these messages), but that doesn't
> mean for certain it would be so elsewhere.
>
> BTW, I lied when I said we don't have the open o. We do, but only
> before i and r.

COFFEE definitely has the CAUGHT vowel. The stereotyped NY
pronunciation, especially in COFFEE and CHOCOLATE, makes this vowel a
triphthong, starting almost like the vowel in GOOD.

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963