Nappy-headed Hos (Was: "Nappy-headed who'es" redux)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun May 20 02:30:59 UTC 2007

Chris F Waigl wrote:
> James Harbeck wrote:
>
>> For those wondering about they style of Dr. Aman's web presence,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Aman might be useful reading. I
>> wouldn't say it justifies it, but it does indicate that one need not
>> take it personally.
>>
>> I fail to see the utility of rudeness in scholarly discourse, but it
>> might make useful material for a study in pragmatics. Much discourse,
>> of course, isn't really about what it's "about" so much as it's about
>> some manoeuvring or needs on the part of the speaker.
>>
>> But in my experience with email lists, people who like to flame
>> others aren't worth keeping in the long run. Civilized discourse is
>> more effective, and -- contrary to what many flamers like to say --
>> more honest. Lists that become spittoons for people with personality
>> disorders lose their habitability.
>>

> Thank you for posting this. I considered for a moment replying to
> Reinhold Aman directly, as his type of post is something I very much
> dislike seeing here.
>
> I had considered before his last post to add a note to his first one
> about disagreeing with his suggestion for a translation of "nappy-headed
> hos" into German. However, this has become moot now: civilised discourse
> about his own contribution has effectively been ended by him.

I have a vague recollection that this isn't Mr Aman's first visit to our
list.

Alice Faber                                      faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                              fax (203) 865-8963