"Amerika"

Tom Dalzell slangman at PACBELL.NET
Sun May 20 17:32:43 UTC 2007

I thhink that Lighter & Wilson are right and that Safire is wrong:

The New York bombers identified themselves afterwards as "revoluntary
force 9" in a message to "Amerika" (a current fad in radical literature
is to spell it with a German "k" to denote facism).  -San Francisco
Examiner and Chronicle, Datebook, page 18 (5 April 1970).

They put us on trial; we denoucned "Amerika" with its teutonic look, or
"Amerikkka."  Todd Gitline: The Sixties, page 288 (1987).

Tom Dalzell