Call for Aman's banning

Mon May 21 09:16:20 UTC 2007

Reinhold Aman wrote:

> This "Ban-that-bastard!" brigade was formed by a highly respected
> senior scholar, Beverly Olson Flanigan, a post-menopausal Associate
> Professor of Linguistics.  As if that were not scary enough, now we
> hear Dr. Bev's call to arms parroted by the heaviest gun yet -- a
> lightweight graduate student and M.A. candidate in the English Dept of
> the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Let me ask this of members of the list who have so far maintained a
dignified silence: would you invite an insufferable man to be a guest in
your house, or, having unwittingly invited him, endure in polite silence
his invective and insults directed at your other guests? Would you perhaps
put up with him, only resolving privately never to invite him again? Or
would you show him the door and shut it firmly behind him?

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words
E-mail: wordseditor at worldwidewords.org