pompatus not in OED

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon May 21 17:13:54 UTC 2007

From:    Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> On 5/20/07, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 May 2007, James Harbeck wrote:

>>> I note that the OED does not have "pompatus".

>> This is certainly shocking.  It will be interesting to see whether the
>> following other pop-culture neologisms (Wikipedia's term) make the cut:

>> sideboob (Family Guy)
>> regifting (Seinfeld)

> I think you can count on "regift" making the cut. It's already in NOAD2.

Not to mention that i strongly suspect that "regifting" predates
Seinfeld. Of course, i can't prove this, since the Seinfeld episode
aired in 1995 and the earliest use of regift* on GoogleGroups is 2 days
after it aired (quoting a line from the episode), but I'm pretty sure
i'd heard the term while i was an undergrad (i.e., 1994 or earlier).

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida