Hockey

Mon May 21 19:24:59 UTC 2007

Speaking of hockey, and the COT/CAUGHT merger, I distinctly remember
a radio announcer in Chicago during the Glenn Hall/Bobby Hull/Pierre
Pilote/Stan Mikita days, probably an ex-player, and therefore, at
that time almost certainly Canadian, who talked always about the
"Black Hocks" with a vowel that approximated those of my friends in
"hocks" (not "hawks"), i. e. a pretty front /a/.  What I've heard
Canadians do, on the whole, is use something like the Chicago vowel
in "hawks" in both.  Are there any regions in Canada that routinely
unround and/or front the merged vowel?

Paul Johnston