Please don't feed the troll? [was Re: Call for Aman's banning]

Erik Hoover grinchy at GRINCHY.COM
Mon May 21 23:55:28 UTC 2007

Meine Damen und Herren,

Does anyone have the earliest citation for "Please don't feed the
troll", used in newsgroups and community message boards?  It is an
admonition to ignore belligerent posters.

The earliest I have found is the less formal "Don't feed the troll"
in a post from December 12 1997 in the Google newsgroup archive.

Maybe this has been examined or discussed in detail in the past.  If
so, my apologies.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Erik