Daiquiri (1910); Southern Lunch Counter Slang (1896)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 22 04:45:04 UTC 2007

Various items...I had previously posted a 1914 "daiquiri" in  English...Any
date for "nerd" in the second item? Does Barbara Waldroff's new  book "Word
Nerd" define the term?...I don't think the last article has been  posted here
before.
(GENEALOGYBANK)
19 June 1910, Bellingham (WA) Sunday Herald, "Explorations in Cuban  Drinks,"
pg. 6:
The Americans who stop in Havana any length of time speedily become
connoisseurs in compounds of rum. They always are taking a fall out of the demon  in
various disguises. There is the Daiquiri cocktail, for example. Its  foundation
is the finest bacardi and it is potent and soothing beyond relief. It  was
invented by some American engineers at the Daiquiri iron mines, and, it is
said, made employment there popular instead of something to be shunned. The
secret of its composition has been disclosed to but a few selected barkeepers
around the Prado, and has not been imported and made use of along Broadway as  yet.
(GOOGLE BOOKS)

_The Reader's Digest - Page 57_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=jlMQAAAAIAAJ&q=nerd+and+square+date:1900-1958&dq=nerd+and+square+date:1900-1958&num=100&ie
=ISO-8859-1)
by Lila Bell Acheson Wallace,  DeWitt Wallace - 1922
and "My, how sanitary!" are widely  used expressions of approval. In Detroit,
someone who once would have  been called a drip or a square is now a nerd,
(GENEALOGYBANK)
24 April 1896, The State (SC), pg. 5:
_SOUTHERN LUNCH COUNTER SLANG_
_Phrases In a Louisiana Restaurant That_
_Are Greek to the Uninitiated._
Lunch counter slang is Greek to the uninitiated. Like most slang,  however,
it is very expressive and the titles of the lunchroom have plenty  of truth to
recommend them and not a little poetry. One of the best  railroad lunch
counters in the south is at Hammond, La. This may be or it  may not be because the
man who runs it is a northern man. According to his  account, the lunch counter
lexicon of the south is quite different from  that of the north.
"When I went to Hammond," he said, "I didn't know what the men were  talking
about half the time. Two or three crews of railroad come in  together and I
didn't know what they wanted when they fired their orders  at me. There was one
thing I could understand, though, and that was the  'please sir,' with which
almost every southerner would finish his request.  The northern man says,
'Gimme a cup o' coffee.' The southern man says,  'Gimme a cup o' coffee, please,
sir.' That is the way the ordinary  traveler would ask for coffee. With the
trainmen and the regulars,  drummers and so on, it is different."
Then he gave extracts from his lexicon, some of which are worth  recording.
"Short and sweet" means beans and molasses.
"Gimme a Trilby foot" means "Pass me a fried pig's foot." The same  desire is
often expressed in a request for "a grunter" or "a  squealer."
"Give the sand box a kick down this way" means "Pass the  sugar."
"Drive the cow down this way" is an old and honored method for asking  for
the milk.
"Slop and sinkers" means coffee and doughnuts. The doughnuts at this
particular counter have been honored with the new title of "life  preservers."
Another apt expression for this article of diet is "fried  holes."
"Pass the dope," is a request for butter.
"Hammerine," means chopped ham.
"One boxing glove with plenty of lining," means a sandwich with a  liberal
allowance of ham. "One boxing glove without a shadow" is the  sandwich
moderately provided with ham.
"Three slides down to west end" is an expression peculiar to New  Orleans and
its vicinity. Lunch counters in these places have one end for  colored people
only, and a request for "Three slides down to west end" is  the way in which
the waiter tells the cook to set out coffee and doughnuts  on what he calls
"the nigger end" of the counter.
Sweet potato pie is a great favorite in the south, and the men come  in
asking, "Got any tate pone?" Another name for sweet potato pie is  "poodle pie."
Everything is custard, too, in the pie line. Ordinary  custard pie is called
"egg custard;" pie is "potato custard," and so on.  Cranberry pie is familiarly
known as "red pie," while mince pie is  variously called "mystery pie" and
"jamboree pie." Pie with two crusts is  known as "two story pie" and "double
barreled pie." Pies with one crust  are called "open faced pie," "single barreled
pie" and "one story pie."  "Celluloid pie" is another name for custard pie.
Ham and eggs are called for as "Kansas City chicken and Adam and  Eve." "Adam
and Eve" seems to be a favorite figure of speech for  representing an egg,
scrambled eggs being known as "Adam and Eve  shipwrecked," while eggs on toast
are called "Adam and Eve on a raft."  Other names for scrambled eggs are
"agitated eggs," "storm tossed" and  "eggs around the curve." Fried eggs unturned
are called "eggs with eyes  open," "sunny side up," "straight up" and "two white
wings turned down."  Soft boiled eggs are described as "a light on the ocean
wave," while a  hard boiled egg is called "a light under the waves." Fried
eggs turned  over are called "in the dark," or "with a black eye."
"Short and white" means sausage and beans.
"One sole without  a shoe" means a beefsteak.
"Java in the dark" means black coffee.
"Hongkong on crutches" is tea without milk.
Cake is variously demanded as "white cake" and "black cake," while  ice cream
is easily recognized in a demand for "cold food." -- New York  Sun.