"parap(@)legic"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 22 13:08:42 UTC 2007

At 7:45 AM -0400 5/22/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>Of course, we find syllabic schwa insertion (or retention) in
>participles like "grappling," "babbling," and "grumbling," but those
>are explainable (partly, at least) by the pronunciation of the base
>forms. There seems to be no tendency to pronounce "complexity" as
>"comp(@)lexity" or "complete" as "comp(@)lete."
>
>--Charlie

Note the stress patterns:  the epenthesis is evidently associated
with a stressed syllable coming up after the cluster.  Arnold can
probably direct us to relevant research on this.

(I don't think "nuclear" > "nucular" below is an instance of
epenthesis--as we've discussed, it's more likely a morphological
(analogical) reanalysis prompted by the myriad of -'Vcular forms and
the near-absence of parallel adjectival formations in -'Vclear beyond
"cochlear".)

LH