"basket weaving" revisited

Thu May 24 04:34:00 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Sam Clements <SClements at neo.rr.com> wrote:

> Here's the ADS link
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0508C&L=ADS-L&P=R3134&I=-3
>
> where I say I found an example in 1956 in the LA Times letters.

Antedating Sam's 1956 cite for "underwater basket weaving" is this
apparently legitimate result from Google Book Search:

-----
1954 Robin W. Winks _These New Zealanders_ 116 It is also quite true
that some American universities offer courses in 'Underwater Basket
Weaving,' 'How to Putter About Efficiently', and 'Fly-casting'.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8cYhAAAAMAAJ
-----

(Winks was a US Fulbright Scholar in New Zealand and got his M.A. in
Maori studies from Victoria University. He went on to teach history at
Yale from 1957 until his death in 2003.)

--Ben Zimmer