pejoration of "stuff?"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 24 13:39:11 UTC 2007

At 12:06 AM -0400 5/24/07, James Harbeck wrote:
>We could be looking at a nascent bifurcation such as has happened
>with "substance" -- which has taken on a specific subset meaning in
>some contexts, first from "substance abuse" (the expanded way of
>saying "drug abuse") but also showing up elsewhere:

Sorry I missed this when I just posted about the first (but as it
happens unintended) reading of "free(-)from foods", but it may be
worth distinguishing "substance" in this use from "drug" as in "drug
abuse".  The latter, at least usually, doesn't include alcohol, while
the former--in the context of substance-free
dorms/houses/floors--invariably does.  Oxygen, however, is a
permitted substance, and so (unless we're talking Mormons?) is
caffeine.

LH