"Mc-" prefix, 1963

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 24 14:38:55 UTC 2007

Such McKey Mouse is McRidiculous!

  JL

Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: Re: "Mc-" prefix, 1963

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 05:38:51AM -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> By now many of us know about McJobs, McPapers, etc. But before there were McJobs, there was _McLintock!_ (1963), with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. The tagline in the trailer (or "preview" as we used to call it more correctly) was:
>
> "'McLintock!' is McNificent!"
>
> How do I know? A friend of mine recalled it, and I checked IMDb for confirmation.
>
> I doubt that "McNificent" has much to do with the application of the McDonald's "Mc-," but, hey, that's diachronic lexicography!

In fact OED's sense 1 of _Mc-_ covers this sort of thing, with
a first quotation of 1948 (from the Tamony Collection) and,
similar to the Mc-...Mc- in the McLintock example, a 1958
referring to "Marian McPartland's Mcmagic".

(Any recent examples of this in clearly non-McDonald's contexts
would be appreciated....)

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

       Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48516/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join Yahoo!'s user panel