"Mc-" prefix, 1963

Mark Peters markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 24 15:21:38 UTC 2007

The lead dude on the show is nicknamed Dr. McDreamy--another is McSteamy. No insult there at all. Characters come up with words like "McDog" and "McLife" that are also non-McDonalds and non-derogatory, though I seem to remember another character threatening to "McVomit" about all this.

  648,000 Google hits for McDreamy at the moment, so that word's getting a workout.

  Mark

Joseph Salmons <jsalmons at WISC.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Joseph Salmons
Subject: Re: "Mc-" prefix, 1963

Actually, there's a whole string of humorous, derogatory McYZ names
out there. Mr. Verb (http://mr-verb.blogspot.com/) had a piece on
them this morning, shortly before the first message on this topic
came through. It's timely since McDonalds reportedly not long ago
renewed their fight to have 'mcjob' pulled from OED. (My personal
favorite is a radio show calling Tom Delay "Drunky McPukeshoes".) The
examples there are almost all political, so a step farther from the
fastfood chain. They go back a couple of years, at least, I think.

What does McDreamy mean and how is it used? The prefix has taken on a
pretty negative meaning in basically all of the examples I know of,
but that doesn't sound obviously negative.

Joe