Eggcorn?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 24 20:26:29 UTC 2007

Well, bite my ass, dInIs! Would you really use that as an imperative?
I have "bite my ass" only as an exclamatory. And I'm probably
mispreapprehending, as someone - Lochinvar Pulaski of "It Pays to be
Ignorant"? - on radio used to say, what you mean by "imperative" v.
"exclamatory."

-Wilson

On 5/24/07, Dennis Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Eggcorn?
>
> Charlie,
>
> I have imperative "bite my ass" and exclamatory "kick in the ass" but
> no fixed phrase "bite on the ass" (although in the mosquito-ridden
> Ohio River Valley I suffered many such as a child). Where is this
> "bite on the ass" a fixed phrase (and what does it mean)?
>
> dInIs
>

> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> >Subject:      Re: Eggcorn?
> >
> >That is, "nip in the bud" + "bite on the ass"?
> >
> >--Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens