"purity ring"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu May 24 21:02:20 UTC 2007

And things can get way WORSE, Bill. The college-level version of the circle jerk (according to legend) is this: A fraternity's neophytes are required to stand in a circle facing a pizza on the ground. The "jerking" competition procedes, with the "winner" exempt from then partaking of the pizza--or, in some versions, the last-place finisher must eat the entire pizza. It's all very brotherly! (A variant of the same motif is said to have given the famous musical group Limp Biscuit its name.)

Yes, why a hasty expression (to adapt Larry's terminology) should be deemed desirable does call for explanation.

--Charlie