"Now he belongs to the ages/angels" (Stanton on Lincoln, in The New Yorker)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun May 27 13:30:09 UTC 2007

On Sat, 26 May 2007, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> Did anyone see this? What do=C2=A0our quotations masters say? Why weren't th=
> ey interviewed for this New Yorker story?

I read this the other day; it's an extremely interesting article.
Gopnik's not finding any pre-1890 documentation of "now he belongs to the
ages" concurs with my own research; 1890 was the date of the evidence I
put in The Yale Book of Quotations.  I can't find any evidence for "now he
belongs to the angels."

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986