Pizza "cut" for "slice"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 30 02:03:21 UTC 2007

OK, so I just returned home (don't ask) and checked DARE, and "cut" is not
there. Why not? When will DARE A-C be updated?
_http://www.tomtwine.com/pa.html_ (http://www.tomtwine.com/pa.html)
A guide to the charming language spoken in  Western Central Pennsylvania,
mostly around Altoona and Johnstown, but some  idioms reach as far west as
Pittsburgh or as far east as  Lancaster...
Yunzonics!
(...)
    cut slice Used in the context of pizza: "A cut  of pizza". Believed to
come from the practice of baking pizzas in  rectangular pans and cutting them
into squares for serving. (Central PA is  one place pizzas are called pies. That
doesn't happen everywhere.  Also, pepperoni is a mandatory topping. A
so-called "plain" pizza is  assumed to have pepperoni on it.)
_http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1132528_
(http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1132528)
Pittsburghese
(...)
Cut = slice (as in 'slice of _pizza_
(http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=pizza) ')
_http://www.pittsburghese.com/glossary.ep.html?type=nouns_
(http://www.pittsburghese.com/glossary.ep.html?type=nouns)
    Cut Slice of pizza. I always got blank stares at pizza  places outside
Pittsburgh when I asked for "two cuts of pepperoni."  (Submitted by Aaron Sobol,
Squirrel Hill)