Sterling today and yesteryear [was: "Location, location, location": a proverb?]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 30 21:35:45 UTC 2007

At 5/30/2007 05:05 PM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>The Office of National Statistics in the UK has a downloadable article at
>
>   http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/article.asp?ID=726
>
>with the title Consumer Price Inflation Since 1750. The abstract says that
>"between 1750 and 2003, prices rose by around 140 times". There's a lot
>more information in the full article, I believe.

Not far from the 120 I got via my correspondent, for 1746 to 2002
(perhaps both from the same basic data).  And (I say for the second
time) for a "consumer basket", not specifically for jewels and other
plunder.  What has been the inflation rate for Old Master or (for a
shorter period) Impressionist paintings?

Joel