Overnegation and Nary (Your Language Log Post)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 31 03:13:44 UTC 2007

Oh, good. I was thinking of Wellman, but not willing to dig out the book;
and it didn't seem to me that Silver John (the hero) and the other
characters ever used "ary" outside a negative polarity context. But this is
a clear case. As Jim wrote, John's just been told that the hoodoo man can
get anything he wants, and John is asking how he does it. My positive
"anything" in that sentence = John's "ary thing".

m a m