stars and ours

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Thu May 31 17:10:42 UTC 2007

Please, Sarah, if you happen to be visiting the US southland, don't look
anyone in the eye and say "I can't rhyme shoofly and pie." They'll be fit to
be tied.
(the other) doug
-----
As I just wrote to Dennis . . .

Could it have been the person from Georgia's speech? [I just remember
an argument, and now I'm worried it was "I" and "pie" or
something . . . but in the spirit of learning . . . (sorry to bother)]

Could the SAE speaker have monophthongized the diphthong /aɪ/ to [aː]?

[phonology naked-in-front-of-the-class nightmares, all over again]

Thanks,
S.

Wrote Marc Sacks (who, no matter what his size, more'n likely would have
balked at the nickname 'Tiny'):