"ironwork" as wielding an erect penis?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Nov 1 02:10:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:20:24PM -0400, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Does "ironwork" have a sense of employing an erect penis?  In "A
> Satyrical Description of Commencement (?1740 but describing itself as
> first printed in 1719), there are the lines:
>
> While some intoxicated are with Wine,
> Others (as brutish) propagate their Kind:
> Where amorous Lads to shady groves resort,
> And under Venus with their Misses sport.
> Some sing, some dance, some lay the Ground upon,
> Whatever fails, the IRON-WORK goes on.
>
> Google gives me a tantalizing snippet:
>
> "... application of clenched fists and ironwork. And despite all
> that, he left me in the same state in which he found me. Do not
> forget that _you_ have benefited from our liaison. I have given you
> time and funds. We should both be thankful."
>
> Allen Kurzweil, _A Case of Curiosities_, 1992, p. 233.  The review on
> the Google page says this novel is set in the 18th century, and
> mentions sexual incidents from the book.

Spectacular book. Its long-awaited sequel, _The Grand
Complication,_ was stunningly bad. Really one of the biggest
disappointments in ages.

Here's more context:

  I was unfortunate enough to marry a man with a penis the size
  of a wart and testicles smaller than two field peas. You
  allowed me to forget his inadequacies. For that I thank
  you. My God! Do you know what it was like to pass whole nights
  with him upon me? My body was forced to suffer inconceivable
  distress and pain. A thousand vain efforts, from book readings
  to the crude application of clenched fists and ironwork. And
  despite all that, he left me in the same state in which he
  found me. Do not forget that _you_ have benefited from our
  liaison. I have given you time and funds. We should both be
  thankful.

So, clearly in a sexual context, but I'm inclined to read this
as literal.

Jesse Sheidlower