Wilson's St. Louis vowels . . .

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Nov 1 12:33:29 UTC 2007

I'd always assumed that, rather being part of a patterned system, the pronunciation of "crappie" with [a] was motivated simply by the desire to avoid a perceived vulgarity! As for "lilac" with a schwa in the last syllable: isn't that pretty standard everywhere?

In high school, my son had two friends named Tara--pronounced differently. Those damn vowels.

--Charlie