Notable Quotations of 2007; ADS-L issues; Coon's Posterior Sandwich (Coon-ass)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 4 09:55:35 UTC 2007

NOTABLE QUOTATIONS OF 2007
The President Bush "World War III" quote is an important one, and
"WWIII" can also be WOTY. The Mahmoud Ahmadinejad "There are no gay
people in my country" quote is also important.
ADS-L ISSUES
I'm sad that Ron Butters has deleted my "BBQ Crabs" post without
reading it. I thought it was pretty darn good, nailing an American
regional cuisine straight back to its inventor. If Ron visits me in
Austin, no barbecue crabs or steakfingers or cowboy-cut ribeye or
fried pickles (frickles) or nachos or fajitas or Margaritas or iced
tea or hamburgers or french fries for him!
I'm sad that Ron wants to have limits on the number of posts. I don't
think anyone is abusive here. Ron wants posts of "fact" (that is,
whatever he's not interested in)  to go straight to the ADS-L
archives, but this is making silly and artificial distinctions. We've
been through these ADS-L arguments before. Just get a daily digest
and/or delete posts you don't want.
COON'S POSTERIOR SANDWICH (COON-ASS)
It's been brought to my attention (by the food writer Becky Mercuri)
that the unprintable sandwich name Frank X. Tolbert refers to is
"coonass."  HDAS lists this as "LA & TX," dating from 1943.
("Coon-ass" is also in DARE.) It's certainly an interesting sandwich
name, but HDAS has this food quote from 1979: "Not for nothing do they
call rice 'coonass ice cream.'"
(GOOGLE)
Coonass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaSocioeconomic factors appear
to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class
Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass
(GOOGLE)
Encyclopedia of Cajun Culture - "COONASS"Coonass is a controversial
term in the Cajun lexicon: to some Cajuns it is regarded as the
supreme ethnic slur, meaning "ignorant, backwards Cajun"; ...
www.cajunculture.com/Other/coonass.htm