Notable Quotations of 2007; ADS-L issues; Coon's Posterior Sandwich (Coon-ass)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 4 18:55:48 UTC 2007

I read somewhere or other - TIME? New York Times? - about a
quarter-century ago,  that, in some Islamic countries, once a man
becomes the father of a son, as shown by the honorific title, _abu_,
"father of [son's name]," he thereby becomes, by definition,
heterosexual, under the theory that a gay man is incapable of
fathering a male child, a variation of the Christian belief that gay
parents are incapable of rearing straight children, even though
straight parents ofttimes rear gay children. Unless these latter be
the "fairy changelings" <har! har!> mentioned in children's fiction.

[Forgive me, Ron!]
-Wilson

On 11/4/07, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Notable Quotations of 2007; ADS-L issues; Coon's Posterior
>               Sandwich (Coon-ass)
>
> On Nov 4, 2007, at 1:55 AM, Barry Popik wrote:
>
> > NOTABLE QUOTATIONS OF 2007
> > The President Bush "World War III" quote is an important one, and
> > "WWIII" can also be WOTY. The Mahmoud Ahmadinejad "There are no gay
> > people in my country" quote is also important.
>
> Ahmadinejad was of course speaking in Persian.  but the clips that
> i've seen of the Columbia talk have two versions of the denial in the
> English translation:
>
> In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country.
>
> In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon.  I don't know who told you
> that.
>
> ----
>
> as for the facts, homosexual *behavior* is punishable by death in
> Iran (though conviction requires four confessions from the accused or
> the testimony of four witnesses, so there aren't a huge number of
> convictions); but same-sex *desire* is taken to be evidence that the
> person exhibiting this desire is really of the other sex (since the
> theory is that there are no homosexuals in Iran), which means that
> this person is required to undergo sex change -- something i learned
> from a paper given to the Queer Studies workshop at Stanford recently:
>
> Professor Afsaneh Najmabadi,  "Transing and Transpassing Across Sex-
> Gender Lines in Contemporary Iran" (Najmabadi is Chair of Women's
> Studies and Professor of History and Women's Studies at Harvard).
>
> arnold

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens