[Speech note] Pronouncing Oregon

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 6 08:42:22 UTC 2007

Sorry, I meant 'or-gun for my normal pronunciation. I think I reduce
the first vowel or something, it feels like I'm just saying the 'r'
sometimes.

On Nov 6, 2007 12:09 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> With the accent on the last syllable? I can see two syllables with the
> accent on the first, but not on the second. BB
>

> Bradley A. Esparza wrote:
> >
> > As a native of Western Washington, born, raised and educated here, I
> > say or-'gun. When I want to be funny I say or-eh-'gone.
> >
> > On Nov 4, 2007 7:08 PM, Scot LaFaive <scotlafaive at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I just heard a local (Madison, WI) newsanchor "correct" herself right after
> >> she pronounced "Oregon" as [or.e.gin] (rhyming with "pin"). Right after
> >> pronouncing it as such, she immediately said [or.e.gan] (rhyming with
> >> "Ron").
> >> (I don't have the correct phonetic symbols, but I think you get the point).
> >>
> >> Scot

Bradley A. Esparza

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."
Dorothy Parker, when asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a
sentence.