AD: to run (a candidate) 1765 antedates 1789-

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Nov 7 17:32:32 UTC 2007

run [a candidate]

IN:
Rothermund, Dietmar
The Layman's Progress: Religious and Political Experience in Colonial
Pennsylvania, 1740--1770
University of Pennsylvania Press
1961

1765 Sep. 20
Samuel Purviance [to Colonel James Burd]

I have received certain advice of a project laid by Menonists to turn
Mr. Saunders out of your ticket the only good member you have ... the
only plan I would recommend is to run Dr. Chune (Kuhn), some other
popular Lutheran or Calvinist in Webb's place.

[Source:  "Shippen Papers. Historical Society of Pennsylvania."  The
parenthetical "Kuhn" may be an insertion by Rothermund.]

page 185
antedates OED run (v) sense 52.b. 1789-

[Discussed in Patricia U. Bonomi, Under the Cope of Heaven: Religion,
Society, and Politics in Colonial America (New York: Oxford
University Press, 1986), page 179 and note 50.]