"Railway"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 7 17:45:46 UTC 2007

Jesse Sheidlower writes:

' ... [P]erhaps even the use of "railway" is odd for an American source."

FWIW, "railway" sounds okay to me. It actually appears to be used
interchangeably. E.g., the Texas & Pacific Railway (the "T&P") is a
unit of the Missouri-Pacific Railroad (the "MoPac"). My father once
"ran on the road" on the Sunshine Special, a MoPac-T&P train
celebrated in a blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson.

For some reason, the train went north as a train of the T&P, but went
south as a train of the MoPac,

-Wilson

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens