"Railway"

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Thu Nov 8 14:29:20 UTC 2007

There is a reason both "railway" (abbreviated "RY") and "railroad" are
used so "interchageably" in the US.

Back in the "Robber Baron days", it frequently happened that when an
Iron Horse went into bankruptcy and was re-organized, the resulting
corporate entity changed its name from "XY&Z Railroad" to "XY&Z Railway"
or vice versa.  One of the lawyers on the list hopefully can tell
whether such a name change was purely cosmetic or had some kind of legal
force.

The same thing happened in the FDR Administration with airlines.  At
that time the term "airways" was frequently used for what we now call an
"airline".  Then a big scandal broke about how air-mail contracts had
been awarded in the Hoover Administration, and for a short while all
airmail was flown by the US Army Air Force.  This didn't work and the
airlines had to be let back into the airmail business, but as a
face-saving maneuver the Administration declared that none of the
scandal-marred "airways" companies was to be allowed back in the
business.  So to get back to flying airmail, American Airways changed
its name to "American Airlines" and as such was allowed to return to the
business.  Ditto for TWA (then called "Transcontinental and Western
Airways"), Eastern, and United.

Currently the word "airway" has the technical meaning of a standard
route for flights to follow between airports.

    James A. Landau
    test engineer
    Northrop-Grumman Information Technology
    8025 Black Horse Pike, Suite 300