NYT on Daniel Cassidy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 16:10:33 UTC 2007

It also seems to be the case that Cassidy bases his "etymologies" on
spelling and not on pronunciation. For example, "buanchumadh," as
spelled here, is pronounced approximately ['bu at Nxum@G] in the Munster
dialect, which doesn't sound much like "bunkum." Its pronunciation may
be closer to [b^Nk at m] in one or more of the other dialects of Irish,
but Cassidy shows no evidence of it.

As they say in Irish, "Póg mo chóin!" (I'm not sure what "ó" looks
like on other people's computers, but it's supposed to be "o acute,"
as long "o" is spelled in Irish.)

-Wilson

On 11/8/07, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: NYT on Daniel Cassidy
>
> On Nov 7, 2007, at 8:23 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/nyregion/08irish.html
> > New York Times, Nov. 8, 2007
> > Humdinger of a Project: Tracing Slang to Ireland
> > By Corey Kilgannon
> >
> > ... evincing not a shred of skepticism about Cassidy's claims. Oy!
> > (Which I'm sure must come from "Och!")
>
> appalling.
>
> to grant barrett: why haven't you put some version of this excellent
> posting --
>
>    http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0710C&L=ADS-
> L&P=R1614&I=-3
>
> on your website?  maybe along with a link to:
>
>    http://www.popmatters.com/pm/books/reviews/49901/how-the-irish-
>
> are there other good critiques we could point people to?
>

> arnold

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens