Lebanese iced tea (from Baton Rouge or New Orleans?)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 17:56:54 UTC 2007

LEBANESE ICED TEA--444 Google hits
Lebanese iced tea appears to be--surprisingly--from Baton Rouge or New
Orleans. I don't have access to FACTIVA or Lexis-Nexis, and any 1980s
or good 1990s citations are welcome.
"Lebanese iced tea" is a strong candidate for inclusion in a revised
Dictionary of American Regional English, as the drink appears to be
regional to Louisiana. It also should be considered for OED, a
dictionary so miserable on food that it still does not have an entry
for even "Thai iced tea" (102,000 Google hits).If Jesse doesn't
consider these food terms "even remotely lexicographical," he should
apply for another job.
I consider finding and recording "Lebanese iced tea" just as exciting
and rewarding as "the whole nine yards." I realize that Ron Butters
might not be interested at all, but it offends me that he trivializes
my work here for all to see, that my one food post a day here on
American regional food is mucking up the system for everyone, and that
Blackberry users just can't delete it fast enough. DARE and HDAS
contain an enormous amount of food terms. For Louisiana, it's part of
the culture. I don't know if OED or DARE will have "trinity," either,
but if they don't, these dictionaries are much the worse for omitting
"trinity." I thought my "trinity" post and the related New York Times
video story was entertaining, and I don't like to be ridiculed for it.
I haven't posted "not remotely lexicographical" American food terms
such as "white chili" or "fish tacos" or "dirty rice" or "Cobb salad"
here, and I don't think I'll post much here at all in the future, and
I suppose it'll be a much better list.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/lebanese_iced_tea/
Entry from November 08, 2007
Lebanese Iced Tea
Iced tea is a favorite drink in the South. Sweet tea is sometimes
called "the champagne of the South."

Lebanese iced tea is made with rosewater and pine nuts and is served
at Middle Eastern restaurants—surprisingly—in Baton Rouge and New
Orleans, Louisiana. Lebanese iced tea has spread to Texas and is now
being requested at restaurants throughout the United States. It is not
known who invented "Lebanese iced tea," which appears in print by
1990.

NewOrleans.com
Lebanese Iced Tea
(...)
One of the most refreshing and surprising drinks is Lebanese Iced Tea.
Nothing too fancy, Lebanese iced tea is composed of basic sweetened
iced tea, and stirred together with the intriguing flavor of
rosewater, just a splash. The heady aroma and floral flavor are exotic
and refreshing. When done right, the taste is subtle and not too
perfumey. Nile Café's version hits the spot to perfection. Their iced
tea has body, good hearty flavor that's mildly sweet, a slight tang
from lemon, the softest whiff of rose and a garnish of crunchy pine
nuts for texture and a tasty, rich contrast.

Lebanese Iced Tea
6 ounces of freshly made iced tea sweetened to taste
1/2 teaspoon of rosewater
1 teaspoon raw pine nuts

Pour sweetened iced tea into a tall glass filled with ice.  Add the
rosewater and stir to combine.  Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.

Where Y'At (New Orleans Monthly Entertainment Magazine)
Mona's Café
Marigny, Uptown, Carrollton, Mid-City
Mona's fantastic falafels, spicy hummus and killer kebabs can now be
found all over the city thanks to a welcome expansion. The exotic
Lebanese iced tea is one of the place's unique trademarks. The service
with a smile and the reasonable prices will have you looking for the
Mona's nearest you.

16 March 1990, The Advocate (Baton Rouge, LA):
Lebanese iced tea (75 cents) was tasty and invigorating. Orange, lemon
and rose water were added to the tea. It was sweetened just enough,
and we noted pine…

Google Groups: rec.food.drink.tea