NYT on Daniel Cassidy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 8 21:31:15 UTC 2007

At 1:46 PM -0500 11/8/07, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Not to mention that "speal" is pronounced [spjael] or [Spjael].
>"Speal" merely _appears_ to be something that is pronounced the same
>as "spiel" or "shpiel" only on the basis of _English_ spelling! Does
>this guy even know _Irish_?!
>
>-Wilson

Ah, but let us not forget that Ger. _spielen_, 'play, perform
(theatr.), gamble', whence the nominalization _Spiel_ (later borrowed
into Yiddish in the palatalized version), *must* have been borrowed
from Irish, since as is well known, the Irish are celebrated for
their love of theater, performance, and gambling.  QED.

LH