"Railway"

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Nov 9 17:20:16 UTC 2007

--On Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:24 pm -0500 Wilson Gray
<hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Perhaps because of my age and the fact that "running on the 'road" and
> postal work were the primary "white-collar" jobs for black men, back
> in the day, "railway station," like "railway" itself, sounds perfectly
> American to me, regardless of the history of these terms in American
> big business, in which, at the time, no black Americans participated.

FWIW, my claim was not that 'railway station' was not AmE (not that I'd
ever say it...) but that 'train station' is, or at least is felt to be so
by older BrE speakers.  Sorry if that was less than explicit.

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844