Eggcorn lexicalization?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Nov 9 13:35:49 UTC 2007

I've mentioned before that the eggcorn-ness of "eggcorn" was opaque to
me for a long time, because i pronounce "egg" as [Eg], not [eg]. This
story is semi-related to this.

I took two of my daughters to a park yesterday, and there were a couple
of women there with their children. One of them, i swear, kept taling to
her son about the "eggcorns" [Egk]orns he was picking up.

I wouldn't have believed it had i not been there, since i'd have to
think "acorn" is a word that people learn growing up, but there it was.
 From eavesdropping on her conversation with a friend of hers, it was
apparent that she'd grown up somewhere in Central Florida (the park was
in unincorporated Orange County, Florida, between Winter Park and
Oviedo), but whether that meant growing up here from infancy or just her
teenage years was unclear. Unfortunately, circumstances were such that i
couldn't investigate more directly.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida