NYT on Daniel Cassidy

Fri Nov 9 13:39:53 UTC 2007

> I would recommend to Grant that he allow Michael Quinion to publish his
> critique of Cassidy in World-wide Words as a work in progress.  Quinion's
> many subscribers are exactly the sort of people we want to wise up about
> this issue.

A number of subscribers have written to me this week having seen the item
in the New York Times, asking about the value of his assertions. I have
debated reviewing the book, but my last foray into Irish (with "geis") was
so much less than successful that I twitch mentally when the language is
even mentioned. I just couldn't write it myself with the necessary degree
of scholarship. But if somebody is prepared to take the trouble to supply
me with a carefully-argued and irreproachably fair critique of about 500-
750 words, I would be happy to publish it.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words
E-mail: wordseditor at worldwidewords.org