vl cluster spotting

Sat Nov 10 22:28:23 UTC 2007

In a message dated 11/10/07 1:58:55 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> Could be, but are those a different subset of speakers from those who
> say "srimp" rather than "shrimp"?

I've only heard "srimp" in the South (i.e., North Carolina). I've only heard
"Slitz" in the North (i.e., Iowa).

>I'd suspect a frequency effect here--"alcohol" is a lot more frequent
>than the other items, and so a lot more likely to simplify.

On the other hand, because it is so frequent, people who might tend to
assimilate the [l] would be more likely to hear other people pronouncing the [l] and
correct in the way that the group is pronouncing it.

Without breaking anyone's anonymity, I can explain the source of my data
here. A friend who regularly attends AA meetings commented to me that 95% of the
people at the meetings (in Durham, NC) that she attends say, "My name is Zelda
(or whatever), and I'm an alcoholic" (pronouncing the <l>)." A very few say
the same phrase, but NEVER pronounce the first <l>. The non-[L]-pronouncers sit
and listen day after day to hundred so l-ful pronunciations, yet they NEVER
pronounce the [L]. I have gone to meetings with my friends just to hear this
pronunciation difference.

Too bad linguists can't record AA meetings. They would a brilliant source of
data on spoken vernacular, and the discourse is amazing in terms of how people
obey the "rules."