unbrick, v.

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Nov 12 23:25:28 UTC 2007

We've all heard _brick_, v., often in the past participle as in "bricked
iPhone". Now all the hoopla about how the iPhone makes it apparent how
sophisticated today's mobile phone devices are, and that without the
lockdowns, they open up opportunities that interest developers, and the
lock-ins to various carriers (depending on which country you're in) and
the effort to reverse Apple's software's bricking of unlocked devices
has brought us _unbrick_. I just heard (well, read) it in casual
conversation, and it's all over the place, if less frequent than
_brick(ed)_. Just one example out of many, this Wired article
(http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/how-to-unbrick-.html) entitled
"How To Unbrick an iPhone For Free".

Maybe a WOTY candidate in the technology section?

Chris Waigl