contrastive stress on "an"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 13 19:58:39 UTC 2007

I agree with dInIs, except that I need the /n/. WRT pomposity, I had
in mind hanginn' in the 'hood, where the usual usage, beginning with
my age group - I learned the now mainly-literary forms at home and not
merely in class -  has slowly changed: "I don' mean UH [^] chick, I
mean THUH [T^] chick." I could say /ej aen/ and /Di/ without startling
anybody own dih caona, but I would think twice, even among a group of
white people, though I snobbishly despise "UH" and "THUH" as the
emphatic forms.

-Wilson

On 11/13/07, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: contrastive stress on "an"
>
> Larry,
>
> Both /ey/ and /aen/ sound good to me; I think the contrastive stress
> does away with the /n/ requirement in the first (and I don't have the
> /n/ in colloquial usage anyhow). Fun variationist project: Does
> contrastive stress on "an" more often realize itself as /ey/ for
> speakers who don't have the nasal?
>
> dInIs
>

> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> >Subject:      Re: thee for the
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >At 9:48 AM -0500 11/13/07, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >>How about emphatic "ay" for "a"? "I don't mean A man, I mean THE man."
> >>I still make this distinction, but it's beginning to feel a little
> >>pompous.
> >>
> >>-Wilson
> >
> >I still hear this a lot in contrastive (and not necessarily pompous)
> >contexts.  (Im on high alert for these because it's something I've
> >written about in papers.)  The tricky thing (for some speakers,
> >anyway) is when you want to contrast an "an" indefinite with a
> >"the(e)" definite, since "ayn" is impossible (unless you're referring
> >to the objectivist) and stressed "AEN" sounds a bit weird:
> >
> >It's not just A solution, it's THE solution.
> >??It's not just AN answer, it's THE answer.
> >
> >It's not THE factor, but it's A factor.
> >??He's not THE expert, but he's AN expert.
> >
> >LH

> >>--
> >>All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> >  >come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> >>-----
> >>                                                -Sam'l Clemens

> >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> --
> It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
> himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
> thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
> North Whitehead
>
> Dennis R. Preston
> University Distinguished Professor
> Department of English