thee for the

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 13 22:50:33 UTC 2007

Laurence Horn wrote:
> At 11:06 AM -0600 11/13/07, Matthew Gordon wrote:
>> Not surprisingly, there are lots of Google hits for "Thee Ohio State
>> University." Is the obsessive use of the definite article here a newish
>> phenomenon? It first came to my attention in the early 90s.
>>
>> -Matt Gordon
>
>  From what I'm told, there's been a lot of pressure applied in
> Columbus to achieve this affect.  It's certainly quite obvious when
> you hear the NFL starters from OSU provide their affiliation during
> the introductions at the beginning of game broadcasts.

And at least one of the players from Illinois regularly introduces
himself as being from "the university of Chief Illiniwek"...so, yeah,
they use that the make a statement.

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963