"Locavore" is Oxford Word-of-the-Year

Thu Nov 15 17:47:19 UTC 2007

Ichthyophagous people are also known as East Coast Vegetarians.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>

Date:         Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:45:47
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "Locavore" is Oxford Word-of-the-Year

Verbivores:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the -vore versus -phagous suffixation
for apparently natural dietary habits? Ichthyophagous seems pretty
common for fish-eaters but herbivore seems to dominate everywhere.
(Oooops! herbiphagous is there is the zoological lit.)

I find both omnivore and omniphagous, and even fruit-eating bats are
both carpophagous and fructivores. Do I sense a preference for adj in
the -phagous and nouns in the -vore? Carnivorous is common, but I'm a
little iffy about herbivorous and especially fructivorous (including
stress placement, if carnivorous provides the right analogy).

I also assume all these terms are comic and/or derisive when applied
to human choice diets, but I haven't checked the anthropological
literature. When people occasionally ask if I am a vegetarian and I
reply that I am an omnivore (I think I'll switch to omniphagous and
see how many respectable places I get thrown out of), I get odd

dInIs (the omniphage?)

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: "Locavore" is Oxford Word-of-the-Year
>
>herbivore already does the trick.
>
>Quoting Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>:
>>
>>  If there's carnivore and omnivore, then there should be, of course,
>>  vegivore.
>

>>  > Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:40:31 -0500
>>  > Poster: Charles Doyle
>>  > Subject: Re: "Locavore" is Oxford Word-of-the-Year
>>  >

>>  >
>>  > Carnivore: "one who vores carnally"?
>>  >
>>  > --Charlie
>>  > _____________________________________________________________
>>  >
>>  >

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English